Wednesday, July 21, 2010

IN VAIN – Mantra CD review


IN VAIN – Mantra CD
Indie Recordings

I’m surprised that Indie Recordings would release something like this. Its progressive death metal with interludes into the black and doom realms, which this label excels in but the vocals are annoying. Andreas Frigstad sounds like a an emo guy who’s experience with puberty turned his vocal cords rusty. Plus he sounds like a whiner and it just doesn’t fit with the music also I hate whiners. I just push em in front of speeding cars with pizza delivery markers on their hoods. IN VAIN hail from Norway so once again what’s with the whining and all that sorrow? If you’re that miserable why start a band, just climb a mountain and jump off a cliff. Speaking of vocals their keyboardist adds cleaner sounding vocals but why bother at this point. This band reminds me of another progressive death metal band in this label’s corral and they are BORKNAGER. I had the displeasure of reviewing their latest release this year and if I were to compare the two then the veterans win hands down. I’m not a fan of BORKNAGER’s latest but atleast they don’t whine. Secondly the atmosphere put forth on here is exactly what a blind man would feel while sitting through a silent movie.

www.indierec.no

No comments:

Post a Comment