Wednesday, July 28, 2010

RUSTED DAWN – The Black Tides of War CD review


RUSTED DAWN – The Black Tides of War CD
Diminished Filth Records

After listening to this I wanna break out the milk crates of cassette tapes I have stacked five high in the closet and search for some rare demos I’ve had since the late 80s. Yeah well the last time I got the bug to do that the cassettes I was looking for were in the bottom crate. I’ll just play this a few more times and dwell upon the planned mess I’d make. RUSTED DAWN are from Canada, I’ve been reviewing alot of releases from there of late, and play (choose one: Speed Metal, Hardcore/Punk, Cossover or Thrash). I’m opting to call this their ten song full length debut a combination of all four genre terms. I say that because The Black Tides of War reminds me of some great bands from the late 80s. I should know since I’ve got them all on cassette tapes in the fucking closet and I saw alot of those bands live. Those were the days of bullet belts and spiked wristbands, mohawks and dirtheads, denim cutoffs and leather jackets, slam pits, loose women. Hmmm, I did visit Canada back in the 80s. How old are these guys?

Today’s climate of pigeonholing everything in nice neat columns will have these guys the subject of Forum debates. With a song titled “By the Hammer of Thor” they’ve gotta be Thrash or atleast confused. Then again the vocals by Jeremy Goddard sound exactly like the guy who fronted the band who opened up for GANGREEN in 88. I forget their name but I’m sure they were from a northern border state. Yeah well listening to this is like slamming in the pit all over again. Seriously I can turn this up, close my eyes and picture the experiences. I would say seeing all the old faces but you kept your arms up in the pit for defensive purposes. Even your friends were guilty of busting one another in the mouth from time to time. RUSTED DAWN has a sound that’s raw like a band playing in a basement club after driving a hundred miles from their last gig. They don’t sound tired on the contrary they sound hungry as fuck. Alot of their songs open with riffs that give me subtle reminders of the salad days of the 1980’s Hardcore scene. When they hit those tempo changes it’s like seeing the inside of a club all over again with bodies flying everywhere. These guys are fuckin incredible. Yeah this might be nostalgia for me but for the younger set it’s time to toss out the polish and go for the spit along with some sweat. Who knows maybe RUSTED DAWN will be doing a North American house show tour this Fall.

www.diminishedfifthrecords.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment