Friday, August 13, 2010

HOWL – Full of Hell CD Review


HOWL – Full of Hell CD
Relapse (BEEP) Records
Genre: Hipster

This Rhode Island band might just (BEEP) fill the top spot of 2010’s hipster favorites. (BEEP) Frankly any band that follows along the MASTODON template these days (BEEP) is hipster material and this is just their debut full length. I won’t be surprised if (BEEP) they’re on a bigger label next year. Musically this is early (BEEP) MASTODON sludge rock to a T. The cover artwork looks like something John Baizley of BARONESS would’ve come up with. The only thing (BEEP) missing is a one word title. Oh and before I forget (BEEP) there’s a woman in the band but she’s on second guitar and not (BEEP) bass. That’s sure to gain points with the Indie Rock/Hipster crowd (BEEP) who haven’t realized there are women in Metal. Sure there aren’t many but to hipsters (BEEP) they’re clueless to even that fact. That crowd thinks black metal is an offshoot of rap metal. (BEEP)

By the second playing of (BEEP) this, yes I went for it a few times, I could only (BEEP) think of this in the same vein that I thought of THE SWORD. Musically (BEEP) they’re not the same of course but the pretense is spot on. Where (BEEP) as THE SWORD were for Indie Rock losers who (BEEP) were clueless to the fact that there was something called (BEEP) Stoner Rock back in the late 90s along with the whole Doom genre which is (BEEP) older. HOWL seems to fit in now for the faux sludge crowd who are (BEEP) clueless to the pre- MASTODON era of bands. I was (BEEP) surprised to see that they were not from Atlanta, Georgia even. I’m (BEEP) sure it’s on their touring schedule and they will be playing (BEEP) a newly reopened Indie Rock club here in September but on a (BEEP) weeknight. Good luck with (BEEP) that one since if present experience shows the only time (BEEP) you can get a crowd out on a weeknight is to have (BEEP) it a free show or make sure the band caters to the (BEEP) under twenty-one crowd.

By my third listen (BEEP) to Full of Hell my thoughts were that they are a sludge version of LORDI including the corny song titles like (BEEP) opener “Horns of Steel” along with “Parish of (BEEP) the Obscene” and “Heavenless”. (BEEP) I think MANOWAR might have a case for copyright infringement. I also think the (BEEP) metal community will see this as more like being “full of shit” with the monotonous quality of the songs, especially that (BEEP) over ten minute opus which closes (BEEP) this dink. The hipsters will eat it up (BEEP) which is what I’m thinking it’s geared for. I mean come on (BEEP) this is like the MONKEES. Even a band (BEEP) like BLACK TUSK has a little more (BEEP) originality. Oh and if you are wondering about the (BEEP), well the mp3 promo contains a (BEEP) every thirty seconds. I figured it should be included (BEEP) in the review. Hopefully I’m not the (BEEP) only one with the brass balls to (BEEP) mention how fucking (BEEP) annoying it is. Although I don’t blame Relapse (BEEP) one bit after what happened with (BEEP) the Blue album by BARONESS en all. (BEEP)

www.relapserecords.com

No comments:

Post a Comment